Decoding the Whiteboard
What are all those "Letters" on the whiteboard? The abbreviations on the boards you see throughout the gym stand for several things. Most are short sayings for our most common exercises and program design.
• WOD= Workout of the Day
• RFT= Rounds for Time
• Rds= Rounds
• 50-10, 21-3, 10-1, 20-2, 25-5= These are rep schemes for various WODS. The workout starts with the amount of reps on the left and go's up or down each set by the number on the right
• M= Meters
• Cals= Calories
• KB= Kettlebell
• KBS= Kettlebell Swings
• SDHP= Sumo Deadlift High Pull
• KBC= Kettlebell Clean
• GTO= Ground to Overhead
• TTB= Toes to Bar
• KTE= Knees to Elbow
• OH= Overhead
• OHS= Overhead Squat
• Rx= Weight as prescribed
• Tabata= 8 rounds of 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest, maximal effort.
• On the Minute (OTM)= Start each set at the beginning of a new minute.
• On :45 seconds = You have 45 seconds to perform the reps and rest. You start each set on :45 second interval.
• AMRAP= As Many Rounds As Possible
• AFAP= As Fast As Possible
• "Unbroken"= if you come off the bar, you start that element again until completion
• @bodyweight= load your body weight to the bar
What do I do for ME set or DE sets?
ME = Max Effort. Typically working to a 2 rep max for 5 sets but not limited to that. If 1RM PR is there take it, if not don’t. To perform the max effort method progress to heavy weights for 1 to 3 repetitions per set. The heavy load (near max weight) recruits the most motor units. The lifter will learn to fire these motor units in a more efficient way and improve motor coordination (your body’s “wiring” for using muscle). During max effort we are primarily training muscles rather than movement. To clarify. The purpose of an agility ladder is training a movement. Heavy squatting is for training muscles.
DE= Dynamic Effort Typically taking 50-70% of 1RM for that exercise and moving through exercise with maximal speed (controlled!). Usually 2-3 reps on 90sec – 30sec Dynamic effort lifts involve moving a submaximal weight with maximal speed. The percentage of your 1 RM used for dynamic effort workouts depend on how trained and experienced you are with the dynamic effort method. Example of a dynamic effort set: Bench Press 8 x 3. Lower the weight quickly to right above the chest, reverse directions and press it to lock out as fast as humanly possible. If the lifter’s 1Rm is 400 lbs example sets could be 185 x 3 sets, 200 x 3 sets, 225 x 2 sets. Increasing weight is not as important as increasing speed and rate of force development.